Hi guys! Today I’ll be reviewing the 1More MK801 over-ear headphone that was sent to me by GearBest.com for my honest assessment. The specific headphone model I have with me is the 1More MK801 (Red) but it also has MK801-B (Black). This headphone comes with an in-line microphone and remote. Based from my first impression on the brand, it makes me wondered it has some relationship with OnePlus as the name comes with the number “One”, but they are actually different companies.
1More is a Chinese company founded in 2013 by three former Foxconn executives and with the help from Xiaomi Corp invesment. 1More’s main business is mainly on audio products which are headphones and in-ear. This 2 year old startup is now expanding into overseas market such as U.S. Currently 1More main challenges is about brand awareness outside China and they are utilizing social media and word-of-mouth to attract customers similarly to Xiaomi’s strategy. Having said that, it helps to avoid investing in expensive advertisements while offering higher quality products at a lower price which makes a win-win situation for both customer and 1More.
- Tuned by a Grammy Award winning mixer. While creating the MK801 headphones, 1MORE collaborated with Luca Bignardi, internationally acclaimed audio engineer and mixer, to complete the final tuning.
- High quality sound is meaningless without a comfortable fit. The ear cups of these headphones rotate in four directions, so that you can customize them to the perfect position for your ears.
- The solid headband is manufactured with shape memory TR-90 titanium steel. Incorporating this material in the ergonomic design allows for the stretching required with everyday use. TR-90 steel is flexible, lightweight and sweat resistant.
- The dual-system in-line remote control allows for compatibility with both Apple and Android systems. You’ll love having volume control, play/pause and call answer in easy reach.
- The over-ear headphone design blocks out most ambient noise.
- Ergonomic Fit – The size and fashionable hyperbolic shape of the headband are ergonomically designed. There is also soft silica gel on the headband’s underside surface for added comfort.
- Four-Way Rotating Ear Cups Are Adjustable with Exclusive Slide Button – The four-way rotating ear cups are covered in premium, soft PU leather. The aluminum adjustment knob is embedded into a durable stainless steel slide runner, which makes getting the correct fit even more convenient.
- Closed Structure to Keep Sound In – The closed structure allows the MK801 headphones to provide you with thicker bass and less sound leakage. These headphones are perfect for use in noisy environments.
- Aerospace-Grade Metal Composite Diaphragm – The diaphragm of these headphones is constructed using aerospace-grade metal and PEEK, a new polymer material. Powerful but comfortable bass is a fundamental factor in a perfect headphone. PEEK’s characteristic tenacity and rigidity allows the soft and stretchy diaphragms to produce powerful and deep bass sound. The precisely calculated diaphragm thickness can produce more defined bass. 1MORE also plates aerospace-grade metal on top of the diaphragms to improve high frequency range performance. This material has many advantages, including minimum mass, maximum sound transferring speed and short response time. This drives every detail of the music towards maximum clarity.
- Cable Design Engineered for Durability and Pure Sound – The interior copper wires are wrapped with Kevlar fiber, which makes the cable more durable and adds increased tensile strength. The surface of the cable is coated with TPE material, which makes the cable softer and easier to wrap for storage.
Color: Assorted Colors
Wearing type : Headband
Function: Microphone,Voice control,Answering Phone,Song Switching
Connectivity : Wired
Connecting interface : AUX-IN
Application: Mobile phone,Computer,Portable Media Player,DJ
Plug Type: 3.5mm
Frequency response: 20~20KHz
Dimension and Weight
Product weight: 0.200KG
Package weight: 0.380 KG
Product size (L x W x H): 19.15 x 17.00 x 6.72 cm / 7.54 x 6.69 x 2.65 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 20.00 x 20.00 x 4.00 cm / 7.87 x 7.87 x 1.57 inches
Packaging and Unboxing
Packaging-1: 1More MK801 headphone is packed within this black box labelled in silver “The Voice of China” (中国的好声音).
Packaging-2 Sliding out the first layer box reveals yet another box that displays the brand “1More”.
Packaging-3: Removing the top cover finally reveals the 1More MK801 headphone along with the red box containing the accessories.
Accessory-1: Here is an overview of the accessories that comes with the 1More MK801 Headphone. Starting from top left to bottom right: paper, a brochure about related products from 1More, red box housing all the accessories, brochure about this headphone, audio cable with 3.5mm audio jack and a carrying pouch.
Accessory-2: 1More MK801 provides a carrying pouch to protect your headphone. It has a logo printed to the pouch “The Voice of China”.
Accessory-3: The 3.5mm audio jack cable measures 1.2 meters and it comes with the mic in. I would prefer if it comes with an audio cable extension or another set of audio cable with at least 1.8m length to connect to far-away devices such as TV or PC. The mic and remote controller does look cheap but the buttons are easy to press since it has a large surface area. The left button increases volume while right button decrease volume. The middle button acts as the music player (Press 1 time to Play music | Press 2 times for Next Music | Press 3 times for Previous Music | One-Press to pickup call | Long Press to hangup). The cable it’s said to have built-in kevlar fibre cable which provides strong tensile strength and anti-winding.
Accessory-4: 1More also provides some brochure about other products they manufactured such as 1More Piston in-ear headphones, Black Teddy Bear aka Smart Bear has a built-in microphone and speaker. For those who are interested with the “Smart Bear”, it can record and send voice messages to linked WeChat users (WeChat is a popular instant messanging application in China). This device targets elderly and children who don’t usually text on mobile devices.
Accessory-5: User manual for the headphone.
Design-1: Here is an overview of the headphone. The silver lining is just a design and it’s not a joint where it folds the ear cups inside. In addition, you can find the short cables connecting from the right ear cup to the left ear cup. The ear cups has 4 angles of adjustment with customized sliding piston for comfort use.
Design-2: The metal has a red matte finishing is applied on the external part of the headphone which it’s not prone to finger prints. The memory headband adopts the titanium steel polymer material which is wear resistant, corrosion resistant, sweat-proof and heat resistant.
Design-3: The inner side of the headphone is covered with soft headband. I realized that the rubber material easily attracts dust to it. The ear cup padding is soft and plushy as well! The ear cup comes with flexible adjustments to fit to your ears comfortably.
Design-4: The best part about this headphone is the cable is removable from the headphone and also you just need to connect it only on one side. The thing that I dislike is not all 3.5mm audio jack can fit inside since the hole is small and slanted in one way.
Design-5: On both left and right ear cups, it uses a smooth step-less slider similarly to the ones implemented on Sennheiser Momentum. You do not need to adjust it before placing on top of your head which I find it very useful. The branding “1More” is found both left and right sides of the headphones. However, it does not specified the model ID on any part of the headphone.
User Experience and Verdict
After auditioning the 1More MK801 headphones for a couple of days with various genre of music and comparing it against few other headphones such as the Elysium Libretto, Edifier H850 and Ausdom M08, I discovered a few things which I liked and disliked. The soundstage of this closed-back headphone produces a roomy airy feeling with amazing instrument separation and decent depth and sound layering. The highs seem natural and even while the lows are controlled. The bass is excellently deep-tight-strong-and-clean while remaining the same out-of-box and after burn-in.
The remote control and microphone design feels cheap and does not go well with the premium looks of the headphone. The microphone voice quality is average with darker tone. The earcup and tight fit isolates noise easily but felt a little uncomfortable with long usages due to the pressure placed around the ears. However, this can be minimized by sliding the earcup to the inner side. Very comfortable for users who have smaller heads.
In summary, the 1More Over-Ear Headphones gets my thumbs up as it offers high quality audio sound found in higher end headphones ranging from $150-$250 USD but for a fraction of the price while having excellent build quality with premium look and feel. It’s quite common to have fancy looking portable headphones but lack in the sound quality but not the case for the 1More headphone. Below is a list of pros and cons to help you decide whether to purchase this headphone. The 1More headphone is currently on sale at GearBest.com (http://www.gearbest.com/headsets/pp_265776.html). The MSRP is $79.99; with Gearbest coupon code “ONEMORE”, it will reduce the price to $42 at the point of this review being published.
- Excellent amount of bass, treble and mids produced by each sound driver comparable to more expensive headphones.
- Dampen external noise by 50% and with music turned on, it would cancel out external noise easily.
- Comfortable ear pads and head pads.
- Made with quality materials, very firm and has strong-built quality.
- Easily and conveniently fits on the head to match the ear to the ear cups.
- Since the ear pad sliders are outside, it does not easily tangles one’s hair when fitting/removing the headphone.
- Pricey. User’s can get a lighter portable headphone with Bluetooth capabilities for convenience.
- The audio input can only fit in the small audio jack 3.5mm.
- Cable length is a little short. Will require a audio cable extension to connect to the rear of the computer motherboard.
- Weight is around 235 grams. Slightly heavier compared to other portable headphones in the market which are below 170 grams but offers similar sound quality.
- Tight ear cups when fitting on the head. However, the tightness prevents external noise from leaking in.
- The headphone is non-foldable, therefore you can’t make it smaller before placing into the carrying pouch.
- The ear pad holes are quite small, hence it’s more of an on-ear headphones.
- Top padding is made of a rubberized material instead of PU pleather found on the earcup. This easily attracts dust to stick on it.