After installing uTorrent, you will need restart the application after configuring 4 important steps listed below:
(A) Setup Static IP Address for you Computer
The reason why you want to set this up because if your router is being connected to multiple devices through wired or wireless, the dynamic ip address given will always differ depending which devices is start up first. Therefore, to avoid this hassle of changing ip addresses, set this once and for all.
1) Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection
2) Click “Properties”
3) In the list, scroll down and select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
4) Click “Properties” to adjust the settings for your TCP/IP
5) Tick “Use the following IP address” instead of “Obtain an IP address automatically”.
6) Enter your settings for your static IP address for your PC:
6a) IP Address : 192.168.1.5 (Example)
6b) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
6c) Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (This is always same as its refers to your router)
7) You can use Google DNS Server to speed up website loading.
7a) Preferred DNS Server: 220.127.116.11
7b) Alternate DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
The most important step here to get the Closed Ports open is to have the bind_ip matching with your static ip. If you have not configured static ip for your computer, you can also use the dynamic ip address. To get your dynamic ip address (Start > Run > Type: “cmd /k ipconfig”). This will open up Command Dos Prompt Window, look for IP Address: (Example: 192.168.1.5), plug that value into net.bind_ip as shown below.
1) Run uTorrent.exe
2) Click “Options” > “Preferences”
3) Select “Advanced” and set following settings below:
3a) net.bind_ip: 192.168.1.5 (Example) (Recommended: Reset to DEFAULT = BLANK)
3b) net.outgoing_ip: 192.168.1.5 (Example) (Recommended: Reset to DEFAULT = BLANK)
3b) isp.primary_dns: 22.214.171.124 (Google DNS Server)
3c) isp.secondary_dnds: 126.96.36.199 (Google DNS Server)
3d) net.max_halfopen: 50 (Optimizing for Windows XP SP2)
4) Click “Apply” Button.
5) Select “Connection” and set following settings below:
5a) Untick “Enable uPnP Port Mapping”
5b) Untick “NAT-PMP Port Mapping”
5c) Untick “Randomize Port Each Start”
5d) Tick “Add Windows Firewall Exception”
5e) Insert port number: 55000 (Example) Use number between 10000-65000
6) Click “Apply” Button.
7) Select “BitTorrent”
7a) Tick all except “Limit Local peer bandwidth”.
7b) Protocol Encryption Outgoing: Enabled.
7c) Tick “Allow incoming legacy connections”.
(C) Setup Router
This is to save your computer static IP in router for Port Forwarding. If this isn’t setup correctly, you will receive status “Closed” when you use any Open Port Check Tool.
1) On your router
2) Open your Internet Browser
3) Type in “192.168.1.1” into address box as the URL (This will access your router settigns)
4) Type in your username and password to access
5) For D-Link Router:
5a) Under “Advanced Tab” (Horizontal Menu), click “Lan Clients”
5b) Enter your Static IP address that you made (Example: 192.168.1.5 and your pc name)
5c) Click “Apply” Button.
6) Save router settings:
6a) Under “Tools” (Horizontal Menu), click “System”. Click “Save and Reboot”.
(D) Anti Virus Firewall
You need to customize your firewall settings to enable Incoming/Outgoing uTorrent Access! Otherwise, you will not be receiving or sharing any files with uTorrent since its blocked by your computer firewall.
If you are using Nod32 ESET Smart Security:
1) Right-click on the icon, select “Advanced Setup”
2) On the left side, under Personal Firewall Category, click “Rules and Zones”
3) Click “Setup” for the Zone and Rule Editor.
4) Search for uTorrent Application, and click the + symbol beside it to expand.
5) Select “Allow Communication for uTorrent.exe” and click “Edit” button.
6) Edit Rule with the ones below then Click OK till you exit the setup.
6a) Direction: Both (Incoming and Outgoing)
6b) Action: Allow
6c) Protocol: TCP and UDP
6d) Profile: For every
(E) Open Port Check Tool
Visit any of the sites below and enter the port that you have selected: Example Port: 55000. If the site says “OPEN”, that means you have setup Port Forwarding correctly!
Quick Search: Tutorial