Ice cream is a frozen dessert usually made from dairy products, such as milk and cream and often combined with fruits or other ingredients and flavors. The meaning of the phrase “ice cream” varies from one country to another. Phrases such as “frozen custard”, “frozen yogurt”, “sorbet”, “gelato” and others are used to distinguish different varieties and styles.
Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 6-8
5 Egg Yolks
¾ cup of Granulated Sugar
2 cups of Whole Milk
1 ½ cup of Heavy Cream
1/3 cup of Cocoa Powder
5 ounces of Semisweet Chocolate, broken into pieces
¼ tsp of Salt
½ tsp of Instant Espresso Powder
1. Whisk egg and sugar in a large bowl for 4 minutes or until mixture turns thick pale color.
2. Simmer milk, cream instant espresso and cocoa powder in saucepan, but not boil.
3. Add a cup of simmered mixture with egg mixture. Whisk until smooth.
4. Pour egg mixture into saucepan containing remaining milk.
5. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
6. Add broken chocolate pieces in large bowl.
7. Strain hot mixture through fine sieve over broken chocolate.
8. Whisk content of large bowl until chocolate is melted.
9. Plastic wrap the bowl and make sure it contacts cream mixture.
10. Refrigerate wrapped bowl at least 4 hours or overnight.
11. Place ice cream machine in freezer overnight too.
12. Insert refrigerated cream into frozen ice cream machine.
13. Turn on machine to chill custard into ice cream for 25 minutes.
Quick Search: Dessert